Friday, September 9, 2011

Painting Project Update

One of the projects I’ve been wanting to get started on for some time, is to chronicle, in landscapes, the places my ancestors lived as they migrated from east to west across North America.


Last fall, we had a chance to visit some of the places my direct-line Harris ancestors lived in northeast Pennsylvania. The painting I am working on now is a scene from Mahoopany Creek In Pennsylvania. My fourth great-grandfather, Emer Harris, lived in this area and owned shares in a sawmill a few miles distant from this spot on the Little Mahoopany, to the northeast. Both of these streams feed the nearby Susquehanna River. This part of Pennsylvania is especially beautiful in the autumn, when the trees are in full color.


One of my next projects will be to paint something Brownhelm, Lorain County Ohio. Emer own some property near the Vermillion River and it was here that his sons Alma and Charles were born. Alma is my third great-grandfather.

No comments: